Mac M1 compatibility

Hi, I am also using the M1 macbook and Manycam works, I can see the Manycam camera in the VIPKID app, but I cannot add a screen share from my iphone when I add a new layer. This is essential for online teachers because we use this new layer as a screen share from the iphone to display rewards and slides for the student. It does not work very well (and has never worked well) to share a web browser window of the same material. Specifically most VIPKid teachers share a website called slidekick.io via iphone or ipad screensharing. Can you please fix this Manycams?

1 Like

I will add that I use the mmhmm app to screen share any material from my iphone and it works perfectly on the M1, so it can be done. But Manycam has not fixed this problem yet.

i have a new macbook pro with M1 chip and teach for Vipkid. I have the beta version (latest and recommended) of manycam. The “desktop” feature for presets does not work. I can not screen share google slides. Additionally, manycam does not recognize the ipad camera. So, I cannot display reward from my ipad in my vipkid classroom. I’ve sent in two help tickets. Both have told me to do what I have already done (install beta, disable metal hardware, send files.) Manycam, will there be an update so that macusers can use this manycam? Right now, it just isn’t working.

1 Like

Hey @Tina_Jobe
Please try to allow screen recording: https://help.manycam.com/knowledge-base/macos-catalina-screen-capture-permissions/ (BTW you can return back Metal)

@Tina_Jobe, @Stephen_Sarrazin as a workaround you can open QuickTime -> New Movie recording and select iPhone/iPad (attach it with USB): https://www.elo.iastate.edu/resources/instructional-tools/screen-recording/quicktime/quicktime-movie-recording-webcam/ Then you can capture QuickTime window in manycam

Thanks ieo for your advice. I don’t want to use the camera from my iphone. I don’t need an additional camera. But actually, the camera on my iphone works perfectly with manycam using an M1 Macbook and the Beta app for Manycam. I can easily add the iphone camera as a layer using the preset tab, then “add new layer”, then I click the big plus on the new layer, and choose “mobile device”, but I needed to already have the manycam app on my iphone set up. But the much bigger problem is that before with my intel Macbook I could open a new layer (from the preset tab), click the plus sign of the new layer and then choose my iphone, found at the top of the pop-up, to start sharing my iphone screen. I did this to share web browser screens of images as rewards for my students (or like I said before to share google slides from slidekick.io). This is essential for VIPKID teachers to use because one of the biggest advantages of using Manycam is for using digital reward systems. I am a paid ManyCam Lifetime user and a full-time VIPKID online educator. I have already stopped using ManyCam because of the functionality loss with the new M1 chip, and I have started using https://www.mmhmm.app/ Mmhmm is superior because it can do iPhone screen shares as slides (or background) on the computer (including slidekick). It also has a much better ability to place my face and body in front of a virtual background without needing to use a green screen. And it is already a fully M1 native app. The only thing it is missing is the Manycam effects library, which I found very useful from ManyCam, because I like to show small images quickly and easily. When ManyCam is functional again, I may switch back, unless mmhmm starts to have a big digital effects library. Thanks for any help you are able to provide.

So am I missing the answer? I purchased a new MacBook Pro with Big Sur (now 11.2.3) with the M1
When I turn on zoom works fine. When I open Manycam it will not even turn on my camera. It has permission in settings to control it but nothing, black screen. any fixes?
Manycam has asked me to send them my log files but these do not exist in my file folder under application Support

The latest beta for mac has improvements for M1: iPhone screen sharing should work (at least does for me) as well as capturing of the 2nd display: https://manycam.com/beta/

@Norman_Armstrong May this happen that your camera is taken by another application?
You may also try to right-click on the layer with your camera, select Properties at the bottom of the context menu and then in appeared dialog switch to Video Format -> Custom and maybe try to switch Image Formats.

Tried that. Manycam finally got it working. They had me delete several folders. Its working now. I think it is a workaround but its working.
Thank you for the response to my issue.

Thanks ieo for your advice. I don’t want to use the camera from my iphone. I don’t need an additional camera. But actually, the camera on my iphone works perfectly with manycam using an M1 Macbook and the Beta app for Manycam.

I left a message that manycam is not working on my Macbook with M1 chip however I didn’t realize until now that I have lost some of the features I once had. One being the lower thirds. I had several choices to choose from now there is only one. I just downloaded the new 7.8.3.15 but is didn’t change this issue.

1 Like