Don't Upgrade to ManyCam 8!

As a new customer considering Manycam I can honestly say that this has turned me off by what I am reading here. A lifetime subscription should be honored. This leads me to believe that the company will no doubt do other dubious things in the future and I think it’s best to look elsewhere, The product looks solid but treating customers like this goes beyond the product. I want a company that stands by its customers.

My theory might be wrong or I might be on to something. As part of Paltalk’s acquisition of ManyCam assets, an earn-out payment of up to $600,000 is also possible. Following the closing of the acquisition, the earn-out payment is subject to achievement of certain performance thresholds related to gross sales of ManyCam software.

Could Paltalk be deliberately upsetting current Lifetime subscribers in order to avoid having to pay Visicom Media, the sellers of Manycam, the additional $600,000? The company offers a free 1 year subscription to manycam 8, so we subscribe after the year ends, which also happens to be when their Earn Out agreement ends. The sales of Manycam go back up, and Paltalk reaps the benefits without having to pay the Earn Out.
For those of you not familair with Earn Out payments, one reason Earn Out Payments exist is due to a difference or gap between what a buyer is willing to pay the owner of a business and its asking price. An Earn Out Payment can bridge the gap between respective valuations in order to close the sale. Earn Out Agreements also are used when a buyer disagrees with the seller’s projected profitability and expected growth. In this case the company must meet certain profitability expectations in order for the buyer to pay the seller additional compensation. In both cases, it’s important to understand that an Earn Out Payment is not guaranteed to be paid to the business owner unless such a guarantee is specified in the Earn Out Agreement and the agreement’s terms are met.

1 Like

This is the offer i see after already paying for 2 lifetime subscriptions. Notice the fine print at the bottom.

Like everyone else here, I signed up for the lifetime subscription with the clear understanding that all future updates would be free. (This screenshot below is from 2020).

This is legally dubious. You changed the terms of the contract without asking for a confirmation of the terms of the change in the contract. I’ve been a huge fan of Manycam and have recommended many customers. But you’ve now lost my trust.

3 Likes

Eso están haciendo, no cumplen sus compromisos, a nosotros los usuarios no nos importa el cambio de empresa, ademas la version 8 BETA es un desastre, solamente cambiaron interfaz y pusieron títulos que en el 7 son fatales, pero no es mejor, un problema que tengo es que MANYCAM anula el drive de mi camara en windows 11 y 10, en vez de resolver eso, se dedican a esto, estoy decepcionado.

1 Like

It is so sad that this is necessary to get a company to uphold a commitment they made to their customers, the lifeblood of their business. I didn’t buy a lifetime subscription, and am not personally affected by this—but I’ll still be watching this space to see what happens. If the company doesn’t keep their word to this customer group, I’ll never pay for another subscription here again. I was already seriously annoyed at the poor quality of version 8 and the decrease in value I’ve noticed since upgrading from ManyCam Lite to Studio. It’s ridiculous, and so unethical. Why would I want to give my money to a company that behaves this way?

1 Like

IMO its a bad move. Loyal customers who are advocates with a lifetime sub will do far more to keep the lights on than trying to squeeze more $ from them. I’ve been banned for speaking out and hope I’m not again. just my opinion.

Although I still have my paid V7 ManyCam license. I’m no longer using it. I moved to vMix. More expensive but a much more complete solution and they don’t have these questionable business practices.

4 Likes

Told you! (vMix)

Anyway…I found a glaring issue with the older version of ManyCam where I simply cannot sync up the audio with mic input. That just encouraged me to go all in with OBS, which happily sync’d things up nicely. I was already using OBS to record since ManyCam’s recorded files have literally no compression.

The only issue now with OBS is being able to do multiple RTMP - once I figure that out, I’ll just go all in.

For anyone else: Trust, there ARE better solutions out there even though ManyCam is “user friendly”.

This is complete crap. I have a lifetime studio plan as well and supported this company for years. New ownership doesn’t invalidate current contracts. They should at least offer 1 lesser version of 8 to lifetime members for life. Like in my case at the very least they should say I can use 8 standard for life even though I am at studio now. That would have still been crap but at least it would make an attempt to uphold the lifetime agreement. I’ll be using my time to find a competitor now and stop recommending this software to others as I have been over the years due to this terrible treatment of customers.

1 Like

2 week before the new company released version 8…

ManyCam Devices & Video sources – ManyCam Help and Support (archive.org)

Writing here to put my two cents in and to be added to any action that is started. My lifetime subscription is apparently not compatible with ManyCam 8…

1 Like

How are you liking VMIx?

Same. I have Studio Lifetime v5 for both PC and MAC, Studio Lifetime v6 and Premium Lifetime Version7 which, I guess if you stay on the same version Manycam is honoring what they sold you, however going forward why bother doing lifetime if there isn’t some form of migration path. Now that I think about it, I am willing to bet that after version 8 sales fizzle out, a Lifetime subscription may be offered, though this time consumers will hopefully have caught on. I’ve been using Manycam for years now, but your customers are going to be as loyal as Manycam is, which in this case… would warrant evaluating other options :slight_smile: