Safeguard against unintentional deletion of playlists and layers

Dear ManyCam Support,

Please know how grateful I am for Manycam. I use it literally every single day for work and continue to develop my knowledge and skill with its many features.

I have experimented and observed myself quite a bit to understand places I slip up and either lose or delete my settings by mistake. I am writing to request that with development into the future, the following safeguard features could be included so as to reduce the possibility of losing/deleting settings (playlists and preset layers) by mistake. It would save me a lot of time I spend by not having to set up my playlists and presets again after accidental deletion.

1. When one clicks on the ‘CLEAR PLAYLIST’ button, please include a step which ks the user whether they are sure they wish to clear the playlist beforehand.

2. When media has been added/deleted to/from a playlist, include prompt the user when they are leaving that playlist with a question such as "Would you like to save changes to your media playlist before leaving?," giving the user the option to “continue” or "cancel."

3. In a given preset’s layer that contains a media playlist, if one wants to add a new layer on top (for example, add one’s webcam as a source with a transparent green screen layer over the playlist, one would first add the layer (right click and select “add new layer”). Then one could click on the plus sign of the new layer, select one’s webcam as source (for example, Facetime webcam built into a Mac) etc. If one, however, mistakenly fails to add the layer first and instead immediately right clicks on the active window of the playlist layer and selects one’s webcam as the source, one’s playlist is completely deleted from the layer as one’s webcam replaces it. **********It would be soooooooo helpful to have a warning message like Caution: your current layer/playlist is about to be replaced by a new source and cannot be retrieved once removed. Are you sure you want to proceed?" Then the user can click “continue” or “cancel”.

4. When one selects “remove layer,” please make it a two-step process whereby a user is prompted with a question such as Are you sure you want to remove this layer? Then provide options for user to “Continue” or “cancel”.

5. When the preset menu is open and shows all the layers within a given preset, it is possible to unintentionally delete a preset layer by clicking on the X in the red circle on the right, next to the preset slide bar. A warning message: **“You are about to delete a layer. Would you like to continue or cancel?” ** This one is particularly important, because located next to the very slim slider bar, it is easy to mistakenly knock into one of the little red circles with an X and delete a layer without intending to.

ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE MEANT TO PREVENT MISTAKEN DELETIONS. BELOW IS TO AVOID MISTAKEN RELOCATION.

1. Now that dragging and dropping presets is possible, providing a caution message “Your preset is going to be shifted, would you like to continue or cancel?” could be helpful. This is especially important if shifting a preset disassociates it from its playlist as was the case with Version 7.4.0.1 (perhaps this disassociation problem has already been fixed. I have not tried yet with version 7.7.1.3). But it would still be helpful because when sliding the very narrow Preset slider bar, it is easy to unintentionally shift a preset just left of the slider bar.

FINALLY, THE LAST REQUEST IS FOR AN UNDO FUNCTION when keying with Chroma Key. There is that critical point that if you do one more click, you begin to turn yourself into your background because you have keyed out too much. An UNDO function could be really helpful .

Okay, that’s it for now. I realize you must have so many people who want Manycam tailored to their needs, so I wish to acknowledge all the incredible innovations you have made and your responsiveness to users’ requests. The ones in this message I believe, however, might support all users who can have lapses in their own quality control and might unintentionally delete and move things. Please consider them.

Thank you for all you do.

Stay safe and Happy Holidays,

Sincerely,

Della Dumlao

1 Like

@delladumlao

FINALLY, THE LAST REQUEST IS FOR AN UNDO FUNCTION when keying with Chroma Key. There is that critical point that if you do one more click, you begin to turn yourself into your background because you have keyed out too much. An UNDO function could be really helpful .

You can use Ctrl+Z hotkey (Cmd+Z on mac) to undo last click.

Ah, fantastico!!! Thank you for this!