Please make ManyCam 7 able to communicate the fps and resolution (of the VirtualCam) to the system

I am using Jami (Url:https://jami.net/) and found out that ManyCam 7 does NOT communicate the resolution and frame rate you select using ManyCam to the system.

This is the issue:

Can you please make it possible that ManyCam 7 will immediately communicate to the system if I change the fps and/or resolution of the VirtualCam using the Windows app of ManyCam?

I doubt if there is any development going on ManyCam 7 since ManyCam 8 is now released and your lifetime free upgrade that was offered is no longer valid. For this reason, I abandoned ManyCam.

Steve

@camd3venture

As far as I know, resolution part is in progress on Windows (available on macOS).

As for FPS, ManyCam Virtual Webcam suggests a range of rates and the client app may pick any 10, 20, 30 or 60. When in MC app you choose FPS=30 and Jami takes 60, the actual result will be still 30 as MC has no actual frames to send. The suggestion about “locking” FPS is still interesting.

So you mean that ManyCam 7 will get an update that will make MC able to communicate the resolution you’ve selected in the MC app to the system?

So ManyCam Virtual Webcam will always use 30 fps? Even if I choose 25 fps, 15 fps, 5 fps (in the MC app)?

I saw updates of ManyCam 7: 05/19/2022; Url: ManyCam | Live video software & Virtual Webcam

And I still think that ManyCam 7 is good enough - I don’t need MC 8 (atm…).
And maybe Visicom Media will allow us to purchase (just) ManyCam 8 once ManyCam 9 will be released.

I also think SplitCam (Url: https://splitcam.com/) is a great free option (and of course OBS).

@camd3venture

So you mean that ManyCam 7 will get an update…

ManyCam 8

So ManyCam Virtual Webcam will always use 30 fps? Even if I choose 25 fps, 15 fps, 5 fps (in the MC app)?

I meant that actual FPS provided by virtual camera may be less than picked by Jami if in ManyCam you choose less.

Thanks for your reply.

May I still ask:

So which resolution will Jami get/use if I select 720p and 30 fps in the MC 7-App?
Because Jami would also allow to use 4K and 60fps if i select “ManyCam VirtualCam” (even if I use the free version of ManyCam -which should only allow 720p?)

@camd3venture

So which resolution will Jami get/use if I select 720p and 30 fps in the MC 7-App?

Jami will get/use any resolution/fps it wants (i.e. supported by MC virtual camera).

Currently your selection in MC app doesn’t affect (at all!) what is available for Jami. Why?

1. This mimics real web-camera. Real hardware web-cameras provides wide range of resolutions and FPSs, so does manycam virtual webcam.
  2. Software may pick any resolution from real web-camera, some require 360p, some 720p, some may dynamically change resolution. We don’t know what resolution is required by Skype, Zoom or Jami. It is impossible to track each app.
  3. It is up to Jami to select optimal resolution from manycam virtual webcam. The same is true for real web-camera if I plug one with 4K support.

Because Jami would also allow to use 4K and 60fps if i select “ManyCam VirtualCam” (even if I use the free version of ManyCam -which should only allow 720p?)

Resolution in MC is not connected with resolution in virtual webcam. Resolution in MC is locked for recording, streaming etc but not for virtual webcam (see reasons above). When Jami takes “wrong” resolution, MC will resize video to fit requirements. If you have 720p in MC and Jami takes 4K, MC will upscale video to 4K (resulting in bad video quality of course).

Above is true for MC7. In future an option to lock resolution may be added.

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed answers.

So to keep it short:

• If I select 1080p in MC 7 and 1080p in Jami the MC VirtualCam will actually use “real” 1080p (no video upscaling)?

• If I select 60fps in MC 7 and 60fps in Jami the MC VirtualCam will actually use “real” 60fps (no duplicated and/or deleted frames)?

• If I play a video game @30fps and use MC VirtualCam 7 and select 60fps in MC 7 and 60fps in Jami the MC VirtualCam will use 60 fps but 30 black frames?

But normally that won’t effect the resolution of the VirtualCam? Because OBS-VirtualCam for example will always be 720p or 1080p so in my opinion Skype would need to crop the video itself? Without changing the resolution of OBS-VirtualCam itself?

Yes.

Generally, yes. Frames are never duplicated because it is pointless to send the same unchanged frame again as video won’t be smoother. Frames may be skipped if CPU is overloaded (can’t process 60 frames in real-time).

No black frames. If your video source is at 30 FPS and MC is at 60, MC will repeat frames from video source (MC has it’s own clock not depended from clock of video source). This makes sense as say effects applied to repeated frames will improve smoothness.

1 Like

So when it comes to the frame rate it actually does not matter which fps I choose in Jami?

If I select 60 fps in Jami and 5 fps in ManyCam the MC VirtualCam will still be 5 fps?

There won’t be any frames deleted/ added?

Same when it comes to the windows 10 camera app? ManyCam VirtualCam will always be 5 fps?

EDIT: Same if I select 5 fps in Jami (although impossible atm) but 30 fps in ManyCam?

ManyCam VirtualCam will still use 30 fps and my video call will use 30 fps?

So it actually just matters which frame rate I 've selected in the MC 7 app?

@camd3venture

If I select 60 fps in Jami and 5 fps in ManyCam the MC VirtualCam will still be 5 fps?
There won’t be any frames deleted/ added?
Same when it comes to the windows 10 camera app? ManyCam VirtualCam will always be 5 fps?

Yes, actual FPS will be 5 because it’s pointless to send the same frame multiple time.

EDIT: Same if I select 5 fps in Jami (although impossible atm) but 30 fps in ManyCam?
ManyCam VirtualCam will still use 30 fps and my video call will use 30 fps?

No, in this case ManyCam will send 5 FPS because it is required that you don’t send more FPS than requested, less is allowed.

So it actually just matters which frame rate I 've selected in the MC 7 app?

As you may see, in some cases FPS in Jami changes the situation (it is maximum FPS).