Manycam network traffic (MacOS)

Once in a while I will passively monitor network traffic on my laptop to make sure there’s no funny business going on or if there’s an app that’s too noisy on the network.

I’m noticing that while running MacOS version of ManyCam, even when minimized or no apps are actively using webcam, there’s ongoing network traffic between my laptop and 54.84.75.232 and 34.235.48.132 on Amazon AWS. The network capture shows these servers are associated with ManyCam software.

I understand the need to check for updates or license validation during the app initialization or checking in periodically but there is constant network communication between the app and these servers. I’m assuming it’s sending logs of app status and there’s no malicious activity going on but it may be taking up more resources than necessary such as battery life.

Hello,
Could I ask a stupid question please, which is not related to your technical comment, but about the green screen needed for manycam. What is the minimal size? for teaching online?
Thank you so much for your kind help.
Best regards,
Diana

Hey @jaredev

ManyCam periodically sends various anomized information such as logs as you’ve mentioned but we also have some client-server communication that is required for the ManyCam Mobile App (online/offline statuses), Facebook/YouTube/Twitch RTMP API connections, etc.

I will check with my team to make sure there aren’t any issues that might be causing data to be sent multiple times or something though just to be sure.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to let me know and I’ll see how I can assist.

Could I ask a stupid question please, which is not related to your technical comment, but about the green screen needed for manycam. What is the minimal size? for teaching online?

Hi Diana
I don’t work for Manycam, but I have just gone through the process of sizing and purchasing a green screen for myself, so I might be able to help.

The size of green screen you will need will depend on your camera lens and how you intend to frame your shot.

If you intend to capture a basic talking head shot (like a webcam shot superimposed in front of your material), then something as simple as a web around should suffice… with one exception… if your camera has a wide-angle lens, the web around does not work because you will need to bring the camera closer (or zoom in), which will distort your features in the shot.

If you want to capture most of your body standing superimposed in front of your material), then you will probably need something like a 6’ x 4’ pullup or 7’ x 5’ foldable (like a giant web around). You will need to remember not to try to move out of the virtual green screen box you are standing in and avoid any leg, arm or hand gestures that may extend beyond the green screen box because they will probably get cropped off in the transmitted shot (small hand gestures directly in front of your body - in the direction of the camera - should be safe)

If you will be moving around the shot - to get out of the way or to point out specific areas of the material you will be superimposed in front of (tv weatherman/woman style), then you will probably need a studio-like set up with an 8’ x 10’ green screen that you can stand on (unless you intend to crop out the lower third of your body - which may look odd if you are walking around and gesturing in the shot). This kind of set up is not very portable, although some people have it set up so that they can push it against a wall in the garage after use or will dismantle the green screen stand after each use.

I hope that this helps,
Anonymous