(macOS) Google Chrome does not detect ManyCam Virtual Webcam

Problem summary

Starting Version 76.0.3809.87, Google Chrome for macOS has had some changes that prevent ManyCam and other apps from appearing on the list of webcam options. The Google team have already confirmed the problem on their end and hopefully, they will come up with an update soon.

What alternatives are there?

In the meantime, we suggest switching to other browsers like Brave, Firefox, Opera. With Firefox you might need to adjust this setting to allow Flash-based websites to run properly.

As for the platforms that support the Chrome browser only (like iTutorgroup), consider the Brave browser or other Chromium-based alternatives (browsers that rely on the same core technologies as Google Chrome). Please note that, once updated, Chromium-based browsers (including the Brave browser) will also stop picking up virtual webcams, ManyCam included.

When is this going to be fixed?

This depends on how quickly Google Chrome is going to implement the required changes. Unfortunately, according to the Chrome Mac tech lead, this is currently “not close to the top of the team’s priority list”, therefore we don’t know when to expect an update that will fix this.

We are also looking for ways to workaround this problem.

I’ve successfully gotten a iTutorGroup session to work with the Brave Browser and Manycam virtual. Re bug report, looks like Apple and Google are pointing fingers at each other…citing security issues.
As these tech giants care deeply about winning…perhaps a little more deeply than helping users…well…this issue might take some time to resolve.
I’d love to be wrong

from 990381 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail

Hi! Mac team tech lead here :slight_smile:

We are not going to disable library validation on the browser process - it is too important of a security mitigation, especially as we’re starting to see more and more misbehaved software injecting code into Chrome. We could probably disable it for a specific helper process, though.

I think there are three things you can do here:

1. Ask Apple to support your use-case somehow at the system level
  2. Send us patches to move the remaining necessary injection points into some helper process, and then we could disable library validation in that process only
  3. Wait for us to do (2), but it is currently not close to the top of the team’s priority list

Hi @Graham_Anderson,

Yep, you are right, unfortunately, they don’t seem to be promoting this task any time soon. Good thing the Brave browser can pick up the ManyCam camera. Many teachers have resorted to Opera and Firefox, but I guess that’s not the case with iTutorgroup since the platform supports chromium-based browsers only.

1 Like

The issue has been resolved in Google Chrome Cannary. Download it here. Soon this fix will be added to the official Google Chrome release.

1 Like

ok merci permetté moi de voi video ssvp